Softball Season Begins With High Expectations

Ashley McCord, Staff Writer

The 2017 Bradley-Bourbonnais softball season is on the rise. Coaches Haylee Beck and Alexa Salkeld  are in store for a rewarding season. With six returning seniors, the BBCHS varsity softball team is ready to go to the field in hopes of a winning streak and a great postseason. Beck and Salkeld say they have high expectations for the season.   

With many seniors, this will be a passion-filled season. Some seniors are not continuing softball in college. One player that will not be pursuing softball in college is Senior Abbey Fiscus. Fiscus is hoping her team goes far in the postseason, saying, “I just hope our team pulls off the win at regionals because this team is something special.” Fiscus has played softball with the girls since she was young, and then all four years in high school. Growing a bond both on and off the field is one thing she’ll remember about this team. She has grown extremely close to the seniors growing up and wants to end her softball season and career on a high note.

The team also has a few juniors that will soon be stepping up to become mentors to incoming freshman and sophomores. One of these players is Junior Miranda Wehrle. Wehrle is a returning player for the team at third base. A team goal she thinks her team can accomplish is All-City: “It’s been a long time since we’ve won All-City, and this is our year.” Wehrle also hopes that the team does well in the postseason. “I definitely think this team is capable of winning regionals this year. We have lots of good communication and are determined for the win this year.”

The two very young coaches are excited for what is in store for the season. They cannot wait to go out there and surprise everyone with their team. Beck, in her first year as head coach at BBCHS, stated, “It wasn’t too long ago I was in these girls’ shoes on the field myself, so I’m excited to share my knowledge with them and bring out the best in them.” They have lots of confidence in not only teaching the girls to better their softball technique, but to help them become better young women themselves. Beck and Salkeld said they “have never had a team that is so competitive before.” They both hope this is a good trait to have at their games. One of their biggest goals for the team is to again take home the All-City title and win regionals. Both coaches agreed that this team has what it takes to go all the way.

Keep an eye out for the BBCHS varsity softball Team this season. This team has high expectations and is determined to go all the way.