All or Nothing

Tarek Bos-Shadi, Anthony Markanich, Nick Markanich, and Brandon Wrey celebrate a goal.

Ashley McCord, Staff Writer

For the longest time the BBCHS boys soccer team has had their eyes on going to the IHSA State Championship. This year was the first year the boys made an appearance in the State Finals. In just this season, the Bradley boys were named all-area tournament champions, all-city champions, Belvidere-Rockford champions, and finished with an undefeated conference championship. Entering the playoffs undefeated, the team had high hopes to go to the state championship. After winning the regional, sectional, and super-sectional championships, the boys headed off to the state tournament at Hoffman Estates High School. They lost the first game to Naperville North at State, and then came back to end their season with a win over Conant, finishing third in class 3A.

The boys’ coach has a great relationship with each of them. Assistant Coach Marty Ruberry has coached BBCHS Boys Soccer for three years now. Ruberry said, “This year’s team was very unique and had many different personalities which made all the boys closer and overall more successful. Next year the majority of the boys will be back, but some will need to step up and be leaders.”

A player leaving the team after four years has been a great leader and defender this season. Senior Jack Kramer has been a varsity player for all four years. This season has been extremely memorable for Kramer. He said, “The thing I’ll miss most are the guys on the team because I’ve grown up with them, and we’ve played together since we were little.” Kramer will most likely be attending Presbyterian College in Clinton, South Carolina. He will continue playing soccer there.

After not being able to play for BBCHS their freshman and sophomore year, Juniors Anthony and Nick Markanich brought the team to a whole other level of competitiveness.The twins played club soccer instead of for the school up until now.  The twins love this team, and look forward to continue making memories and history with this team. They both expect to return next season.“Hopefully next year we go to state again and this time get first.” Anthony Markanich stated. Both twins are excited to pursue state again next year.

Next season, with most boys returning, should also be a victorious one. Be sure to watch out for the BBCHS Boys Varsity Soccer team on their quest to the IHSA State Series next season.