BBCHS Fall Sports Preview

James Anders and Drew Boudreau

Jackson Sheputis, Co-Editor

A quick rundown of what to expect from every Boilermaker sports team this Autumn…

VOLLEYBALL

The volleyball team got off a great start to their season with a victory over Bloom High School Thursday night. They are led by Coach Kary Dowling and seniors Bri Clingan, Shaina Falkner, Hunter Sherman, and Emily Richmond. One of the highlights of last year’s season was the victory over Bishop McNamara, and the Boilermakers will look to defend their All-City crown this year on September 14th in Donald Turner Gymnasium.

GOLF

The boy’s golf team is set to improve this year with a team of mostly seniors, led by defending individual all-city champion Tyler Guertin. Coach Bill Breeden’s team aims to defend their team all-city championship and advance past regionals. On the girls’ side, the team looks to build off of last year’s season which ended with a 4th place finish at regionals. They return seniors Kaitlin Alsvig, Mattie Prairie, and Katelyn Harder.

CROSS COUNTRY

After sending Lenny Baumann to state last year, the boys’ cross country team should be posting faster times than ever this year. Baumann returns as a senior this year, and Coach Tony Swafford’s team will also be led by seniors Zach Joaquin and David Martin, as well as Sophomore Marc Pickering. The girls’ cross country team should also have a lot of success this year, as they bring back seniors Claire Hammes, Madison Gonski, and Jillian Boudreau. Both teams will look to defend their all-city title on September 15th against Bishop Mac.

BOYS SOCCER

The boys’ soccer team is primed for an exciting season after winning the regional championship and  advancing all the way to the sectional championship last year where they ultimately lost to Andrew. This year they are set to have more success behind returning starters Justin Fritz, Jacob Meents, and Efrain Davila. The boys claimed the championship in their first tournament of the year over the weekend.

FOOTBALL

Coach Mike Kohl’s squad looks to build off last year’s history-making season which saw the Boilermaker football team go 9-4 and advance to the IHSA state semifinals, where they were narrowly and controversially defeated by Libertyville High School. It will be difficult to overcome the loss of senior leaders Owen Starr, Mason Delong, and Cameran Douglas. However, the team looks to build off last year’s experience in big games, and should continue to have success this season behind a new class of seniors led by star wide receiver and cornerback Camron Harrell. The season is already on the right path- the Boilermakers defeated Champaign Centennial 34-0 Friday night.

GIRLS TENNIS

The girls’ tennis team is coming off a fantastic season that included a team sectional championship. The team will have to overcome the loss of state-qualifier Selin Sipahi this season. However, other state qualifiers Myra Zaheer, Isra Ansari, Elana Ferris, Allison Benoit, and Catherine Gray all return. They seem to be set for another strong season, with another sectional title certainly in sight.

GIRLS SWIMMING

The girls’ swimming and diving team starts their season on September 3rd and will swim for the all-city championship against Kankakee on September 6th at home.  They will be led this season by seniors Kenzie Chalifoux and Maggie Goodman and sophomore Megan Schroder. After a strong season last year, expect more success for the boilermakers in the pool this fall.

CHECK OUT THE BOILER MEDIA YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR ALL YOUR BBCHS SCHOOL UPDATES:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDvyj3jzg_Aw-TDVG9MeTuA